Felted Woolies are things made from reclaimed, recycled wool. I find wool at thrift stores and garage sales. I clean it, felt it or unravel it, and make new things. I seem to have a bit of trouble focusing on just one project--so I make a lot of different things, practical and not so practical.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

A "Hybrid" hat

I'm working on a different kind of recycled hat.  Using the front or back of a sweater, intact, to make most of the hat, unravelling the sweater until just 7 or 8 inches are left, plus the cuff, and then picking up all the stitches with a knitting needle.  Next I shape the top following a pattern and knitting just as if I'd knit the whole hat by hand. 

I've made several since yesterday...   I like that I can make these with cotton sweaters, for those that just don't want wool.  It makes a much lighter weight hat, and a more familiar texture.  I'll be curious if customers like these better than felted hats.

No photos yet.

Has anyone else tried this or heard of this?  I've found a hat via google made from the sleeve of a sweater, by cutting across to get rid of the shoulder part and make an even cone shape, then finishing the edge with crochet, and gathering the long part into a fun long cap...  I thought I saw directions for doing what I'm doing online last year, but I can't find them now.   maybe on Ravelry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment