Felted Woolies are things made from reclaimed, recycled wool. I find wool at thrift stores and garage sales. I clean it, felt it or unravel it, and make new things. I seem to have a bit of trouble focusing on just one project--so I make a lot of different things, practical and not so practical.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hybrid hats

Here are just a few of my new hats, made from sweaters, with just a bit of hand knitting to give them shape. I love how easy this is.

I've made some with cuffs, because that is warmer, and some without the cuff, because that seems more "stylish." What do you prefer? Do you want a cuff for warmth, or a beanie without cuff for style. I'll be sewing flowers to the girls and woman's hats, or at least to some of them.

The only drawback to this technique is that you have no control over the size of the hat. Once you choose the sweater, you can only make the size of hat that sweater will make. So, if you want a particular size, you need to measure the sweater first, and fall in love with the stripe or color or pattern or yarn weight second...

No comments:

Post a Comment