Felted Woolies are things made from reclaimed, recycled wool. I find wool at thrift stores and garage sales. I clean it, felt it or unravel it, and make new things. I seem to have a bit of trouble focusing on just one project--so I make a lot of different things, practical and not so practical.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Family Reunion Tokens

I wanted to make something for all my relatives--we are having a big reunion next month, but wool toys didn't seem like the right thing...   I want something more meaningful.  I have had an old quilt, made by my grandmother in the 1920's.  My grandmother was about 80 when I was born and I never met her.   I grew up with this quilt.  It was old and worn, but we used it.  I took it to college and grad school as a piece of home.   My mom tried to repair it, and covered the most worn pieces with new fabric, but those patches always looked out of place.  I quit using it and have just stored it.  It is too worn to be a pillow, too worn to use, too worn for anything but display folded on a shelf.

So, I'm going to share pieces of it with my family.  I don't know that anyone else will remember the quilt as I do, but I think all will appreciate seeing stitches made by a grandmother, great-grandmother, or great-great-grandmother. 

I used fabric stiffener on the quilt and cut hearts.  I added a button and a string to hang.  We can use them as Christmas ornaments, scrapbook decorations, or whatever.  I'm happy with how they are turning out!  I actually think this was a pretty good idea.  I have some other cutter quilt pieces that I want to play with using the same techniques.  Birds?  Stars?  Garlands made from birds and stars?  Hmmm.  A lot of possibilities. 


No comments:

Post a Comment