Felted Woolies are things made from reclaimed, recycled wool. I find wool at thrift stores and garage sales. I clean it, felt it or unravel it, and make new things. I seem to have a bit of trouble focusing on just one project--so I make a lot of different things, practical and not so practical.

Monday, July 26, 2010

A new Sheep

Remember last summer--the sheep from Flutterby Patch that took a journey around the world and stopped to visit here in Dublin?   I decided to try to create a sewn pattern, similar to the knit pattern from Flutterby Patch, to make with wool felt.  After all, I can hardly call my shop "Felted Woolies" if I don't make any felted woolies...

Photos are of the first prototype.  I know I want the head a bit bigger and the legs a bit shorter, but just a tad.  I also have a new idea about how to make the hooves look better.  I might have to add embroidered mouth and nose, especially for a lighter fabric.  The sweater that made this sheep's "jacket" is perfect for the job.  I may have to really look for others that have the right texture, or I'll have to knit jackets. 

I have some work to do to "perfect" the pattern...  Well, none of my patterns are ever perfect.   I like to think that is part of their charm.   But my sheep still needs some work.  I think there is great potential! 

1 comment:

  1. Great little sheep. Love all the little cuties you have in your blog. Some great ideas. The quilt frame you found is amazing. In Britain we would call that a 'country piece' and it would date from the 1800s and be made by a perhaps a farmer for his wife to use. Very unsophisticated but a fantastic find all these years later. Well done.

    ReplyDelete